AquaCAVE is a system for enhancing the swimming experience. Although swimming is considered to be one of the best exercises to maintain our health, swimming in a pool is normally monotonous; thus, maintaining its motivation is sometimes difficult. AquaCAVE is a computer-augmented swimming pool with rear-projection acrylic walls that surround a swimmer, providing a CAVE-like immersive stereoscopic projection environment. The swimmer wears goggles with liquid-crystal display (LCD) shutter glasses, and cameras installed in the pool tracks swimmer’s head position. Swimmers can be immersed into synthetic scenes such as coral reefs, outer space, or any other computer generated environments. The system can also provide swimming training with projections such as record lines and swimming forms as 3D virtual characters in the 3D space.
- 山下 聖悟, 諏訪 俊一, 味八木 崇, 暦本 純一, “水泳体験を向上させる水中没入型バーチャルリアリティ環境: AquaCAVEの設計と実装“, 日本ソフトウェア科学会 コンピュータソフトウェア. May 2018, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 52-63.
- Shogo Yamashita, Xinlei Zhang, Takashi Miyaki, Jun Rekimoto, “AquaCAVE: An Underwater Immersive Projection System for Enhancing the Swimming Experience“,26th International Conference on Artificial Reality and Telexistence (ICAT 2016) and the 21th Eurographics Symposium on Virtual Environments (EGVE 2016), December 2016, pp25-28. Video
[Best Short Paper Award]
- Shogo Yamashita, Xinlei Zhang, Jun Rekimoto, “AquaCAVE: Augmented Swimming Environment with Immersive Surround-Screen Virtual Reality“, Proceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST 2016), October 2016, pp.183-184
[Best Poster Award]
- Shogo Yamashita, Xinlei Zhang, Jun Rekimoto, “Projection-based Immersive Pool for Advanced Swimming Experience”, 1 st Asian Workshop on User Interface (AUI 2016), October 2016.
- 山下聖悟, 張シンレイ, 暦本 純一, “AquaCAVE : 水泳体験を向上させる水中バーチャルリアリティ環境”, 24th Workshop on Interactive Systems and Software (WISS 2016), December 2016.